Senior Android/Machine Learning Tools Developer
This job offer is expired
In the course of this role, you’ll learn about the Arm mobile and embedded ecosystems and the varied technologies used by its developers. Our tools are used across a wide spectrum of applications developers: mobile, games, Android, Linux, embedded and enterprise.
You will help to form a new team developing a performance analysis tool geared towards Android games and application developers. This project touches all layers of the software stack; collecting performance counter information, stack traces and application specific trace formats to produce detailed insight into the application-under-profile, presenting this to the user in a clear and actionable manner. This role will require working across Arm to produce a product that turns raw performance metrics into actionable advice, enabling users to solve real world problems.
Working collaboratively as part of a team to develop existing performance capture and analysis code-bases into a new product. You will be involved in the design of the user flows, data analysis and presentation for this undertaking.
Your role as a software engineer will require you to:
- Understand development flows used by Android and Machine Learning application developers.
- Improve and extend performance counter and trace capture software written in C.
- Develop an analysis framework in Java for producing consumable information and actionable advice based on the collected data.
- Produce reports in both human-readable and machine-parseable formats.
- Collaborate to build a continuous integration platform to test this new product.
This position is for our office in centre of Manchester, where you are steps away from the vibrant life of the city centre and there are excellent transport links. You'll be expected to occasionally travel to events and meet with our partners.
Skills and Experience
Experienced with and highly competent at:
- Java, C or C++ programming.
- Scripting in Python and using the Linux command line.
- Effectively communicating to persuade and influence internal or external partners.
- Following software methodologies, tools, and processes including code review.
- Note: Training may be provided for a suitable applicant with only a subset of the skills and experience.
Educated to degree level or have similar relevant experience
Desirable Skills & Experience
The following is a selection of skills used across our projects. You do not need any of these to apply or succeed in your application. You shall have the opportunity to develop your skills in these areas.
Experience with and competent at:
- Android application development.
- User Interface Design.
- Basic Linux administration, particularly installation and maintenance.
- Test development using Continuous Integration tools such as GoCD, Jenkins or Robot, and maintenance of test infrastructure using DevOps frameworks such as Chef or Ansible.
- Optimising code for performance.
About the Development Solutions Group (DSG)
The Development Solutions Group (DSG) is to help our customers craft innovative and energy efficient Arm-Powered products, using powerful and easy to use development tools. Our mission is to build or enable tools that improve Arm system performance, productivity or time to market.
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our unique culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive
- No individual owns the right answer. Brilliance is collective
- Information is crucial, share it
- Realise that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t
Passion for progress
- Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up the pool of people you connect with
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress
Be your brilliant self
- Be quirky not egocentric
- Recognise the power in saying ‘I don’t know’
- Make trust our default position
- Hold strong opinions lightly
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.