Software Engineer (Android) Java/C++
FOR OVER 35 YEARS, WE’VE BEEN MAKING HISTORY. NOW, WE’RE BUILDING THE FUTURE.
TECHS ON THE BEACH
On April 14, 1981, in Honolulu, Hawaii, William “Bill” Melton incorporated his new tech company. The original intention was to provide a recourse for retailers who’d been swindled by people handing out bad checks. Bill's product was a kind of verification device using phone lines—a verification phone.
But then a pivot. The credit card industry was relatively new at the time and processing was still being done with carbon paper. Bill saw a way to reduce costs for companies like Visa and MasterCard, while capitalizing on this new technology. Instead of verifying checks, we would provide local businesses a means to electronically process credit card payments. And thus, the Verifone payment device was born.
Now, Verifone is one of the world’s largest POS terminal vendors and a leading provider of payment and commerce solutions. We operate in more than 150 countries and employ nearly 6,000 people globally. Our steady growth has come organically, through a dedication to innovation and strategic partnerships, as well as from savvy acquisitions.
Job Title: Software Engineer (Android) Java/C++
Position Summary: As a Software Engineer focusing on Android development, you will be responsible for the development and maintenance of applications, services, and framework functionality for Verifone Android platforms.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of Android applications and services related to: point of sale, payment processing, performance monitoring, consumer analytics, and test automation.
- Contribute to the extension of our core Android payment service functionality to support the aforementioned areas
- Execute rapid prototyping to facilitate proof of concept and demonstrations for complex requirements and features
- Develop and test the defined requirements with high accountability while managing risks and the potential of evolving requirements
- Solve complex challenges specifically related to delivering Android applications and services for the unique requirements of the payment industry
- Work closely with other functional teams, third parties, and vendors to facilitate the resolution of issues
Knowledge & Experience:
- 2-3 years prior experience with Android application development
- Previous work on published Android application(s) available on the Google Play store or contributions with open-source Android projects.
- Experience with Android software development in Java and/or C++
- Expertise with Android software development tools
- Strong hands on experience debugging Android application issues
- Experience with, and ability to develop expertise in, secure coding techniques, security/encryption technologies, and cryptography
- Experience with continuous integration software development processes and configuration management tools
Skills & Ability:
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in a cross-functional environment without boundaries for the benefit of the project and team
- Ability to decompose larger problems into work as self-contained, minimally-dependent tasks
- Flexibility to work in a fast-paced, often ambiguous and entrepreneurial environment and to adapt to changing circumstances
- Ability to work as part of a geographically distributed team having members of diverse cultures
- Demonstrated ability to improve both technical knowledge and process; ability to learn and apply skills to new technology
- iOS development skills in both Objective C and Swift is a plus
- Bachelor Degree in Electrical/Computer Engineering or Computer Science
VeriFone is an equal opportunity employer.
How to apply
Please apply online at: http://jobs.jobvite.com/verifone/job/oZC46fwv