As a Software Engineer for Internalization, you'll be part of one of the fastest-growing teams in the company helping to launch Hopper in dozens of international markets over the coming years. Hopper has grand ambitions of becoming the dominant player in mobile travel over the next decade, and our internationalization infrastructure is key to our product resonating with consumers in every market in the world and scaling our business.
Hopper’s plan to expand internationally is as aggressive as it gets. We plan on launching 26+ languages, many new payment methods, and dozens of additional currencies over the next 12-24 months to seize the opportunity in mobile air travel, globally. These challenges cannot be understated, and we need the best internationalization engineers to help us appeal to the masses all over the world.
In this role you will:
- Work with a wide range of systems, processes and technologies to own and solve problems end-to-end
- Be an i18n evangelist at Hopper, increasing the i18n IQ of internal development and design teams
- Build new features for internal and external users, as new functionality and tools help us better streamline the i18n and l10n process and experience for end-users
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the organization in areas such as product, design, infrastructure, and operations
- Uphold our high engineering standards and bring consistency to the many codebases and processes you will encounter
- Work as an embedded engineer within different product teams assisting them with internationalizing code, externalizing localizable content, and improving localizability
- Organize ongoing i18n testing
A qualified candidate has:
- 2+ years of hands-on I18n / L10n software development experience with a track record of shipping successful I18n projects (preferably iOS and Android apps)
- Experience with I18n tools and automation expertise
- A passion for producing localizable software and a strong desire to expand your knowledge in this area
- Proven understanding of character encoding and why it matters
- Experience working with APIs to build integrations
- Experience with gettext-based tools and TMS (translation management systems) including CAT (Computer-Aided Translation), TMs (translation memories), glossaries, and common localization file formats
- Clear English communication and presentation skills
Hopper is the smart way to book travel on your phone. Combining massive amounts of data and advanced machine learning algorithms, Hopper predicts and analyzes airfare and accommodations to save users money and enable them to travel more often.
Since its launch in 2015, Hopper has become one of the fastest growing travel apps ever with over 25 million installs to date. It is now the most downloaded flights booking app in North America and travelers have booked hundreds of millions of dollars in flights and hotels around the world using Hopper.
The app has received accolades such as Fast Company’s Most Innovative Company in Travel 2018, the Google Play Award for Standout Startup of 2016, and Apple’s App Store Best of 2015.Apply now