Development Engineer - Working in Japan
This job offer is expired
Both Japanese speakers and Non-Japanese speakers welcomed (if working in Fukuoka/ Kyoto); there are many English speakers working with the company. Successful applicants without Japanese language skills may be asked to attend a Japanese training course for half of every working day for at least 3 months ~ 12 months after arriving in Fukuoka/ Kyoto. This training is paid for by the employer, and is an excellent chance to pick up new language skills.We encourage employees to reach JLPT Level 2 within few years of commencement.
Engineer work in LINE:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZm0_ChPzPg&feature=youtu.be
Choose your work location depending on your Japanese language skills!
Non-Japanese Speakers: Assigned to Fukuoka/ Kyoto office. However, those wishing to transfer to Tokyo office may do so after attaining basic conversational skills if desired.
Japanese Speakers: Can select Tokyo/ Fukuoka/ Kyoto office if Japanese skills equivalent to JLPT Level 2 or above.
Many of the world's best engineers work with the company, and approximately 30% of them hail from overseas. Experienced IT engineers who can put the user's perspective first and wish to make a positive impact on the tens of millions of daily users are encouraged to apply!
Job Description:After inquiring about your experience as an engineer and future career preferences, we will assign you to work on either server-side or application development.
You will be performing API/web application design and development work for server-side features that accompany LINE’s messaging and social graph services or related services (referred to as “LINE Family Apps” below) running on the LINE platform.
- Much of the API, client-server/server-server coordination, databases, and parallel batch jobs.
- Working to achieve scalability, stability, ease-of-use, and flexibility for continual improvements in the services.
- Working to improve work product quality from an engineering standpoint through code reviews and teamwork.
Examples of Server Development Work
- Service development for paid content and sponsored content on LINE.
- Service development for LINE Family Apps (e.g. “LINE Creators Market”, “LINE Fortune”, “LINE Surveys”, “LINE Part Time Jobs”, etc.).
- You will be involved with the development of, and operational work for, the LINE client and LINE Family App clients.
- Collaborating with the Planning and Design teams to bring ideas to life (e.g. through coding, creating unit tests, etc.).
- Performing app profiling and improving performance.
- Improving and maintaining a CI environment that supports stable development by a large group.
- Developing new features.
- Improving code quality through code reviews.
Examples of Client Development Work
- Development of messaging features in the LINE app.
- Development of sticker purchase features in the LINE app.
- All matters of development for the LINE@ app.
- Development of LINE Family Apps (e.g. “LINE Creators Studio”, “LINE Fortune”, “LINE Part Time Job”, etc.).
- English language skills (business level or above)
- Non Japanese speaking applicants must be willing to learn the Japanese language after arriving Japan
- Professional knowledge of at least one programming language
- Understanding of computer science
- Fundamental knowledge of memory, processes, threads, and their relation to programming
- A fundamental understanding of network technology (e.g. TCP/UDP, HTTP, etc.), databases, and SQL
- Experience in developing native apps using Java/Objective-C
- Experience in Web application development using languages such as Java, PHP, Perl, Ruby, Python, etc.
- A history of active participation in the Open Source community
- Experience with development/operation of systems with large quantities of data and traffic
Working hours:Discretionary and flexible according to abilities and speed of task completion; if all tasks and projects are completed well and on time, you do not need to stay in the office for extended periods of time.
Salary:Minimum 6 million Japanese Yen per annual (higher compensation will be provided based on skills and experience and is negotiable). We also offer relocation allowance to the right candidate.
Other details to be discussed during interviews.
※You are welcome to reapply for this position within the group againafter a period of 12 months has passed.